Wednesday 6 August 2008

Off to school

My baby, who is actually 6½ now, starts pre school next week! She is sooo excited. I can't believe she is just about to embark on one of the most important times of her life. Little brother gets his turn next year - look out! Here in Finland they don't start 'proper' school until 7. At 6 they go to preschool which basically prepares them for the school day and what to expect. On all accounts the Finnish education system is supposed to be one of the best around - we shall see! The boy starts daycare again next week, he quite looking forward to going back for a change but I think that has to do with the fact that they have completely renovated the playground, swings , slides, basket ball area - lots of fun. I'll let you know what he thinks next week!

4 comments:

  1. the Finnish system sounds so much more child centred than the British system, school at 4 yrs old in England and 4 1/2 in Scotland. Children need time to develop emothionally and socially before they start formal education. I'm sure it will be a wonderful time for your child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elli is certainly 'ready' for school now. Aleksi is 4½ and is doing well in daycare(also a fantastic set up here) - a bit like nursery school I suppose. I couldn't imagine either of them at school at 4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog Amanda. I am glad I found yours. I have begun to do wet felting as well and have a bunch of wool hanging up behind me ready to be combed out (I have only washed it).

    Our kids start school much earlier here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to try preparing my own wool yet Kelli - I'm lazy and buy my wool beautifully carded and ready to felt!

    ReplyDelete