Tuesday 9 November 2010

D Blog day - my 6 things I would like you to know

 In honor of D Blog Day...here are 6 things I want the world to know about Diabetes :-
  • We did nothing 'wrong' to cause A's Diabetes. A mix of genetics, enviromental factors and just sod's law caused this autoimmune disease.
  • For type 1 Diabetes the only treatment is Insulin. Insulin in too larger doses can kill. There is a fine line between too much and not enough sometimes and we often don't get it right. Not through lack of trying though!
  • Yes he can eats sweets, ice cream, biscuits - I just need to know the carbohydrate content of everything he eats and calculate the right dose of insulin ( see point 2)
  • Diabetes affects everyone in the family -A, Mum, Dad, Big sister, Grandma's and Grandad.....
  • .....Yes Diabetes is in our life but it is not our life - we will do anything and everything as before, but with an extra suitcase for all his supplies.
  • We would like a cure please.

Don't forget World Diabetes Day on 14th November - we will be doing the Big Blue test. Will you?

10 comments:

  1. It's very good of you to remind us that health is not a "normal" thing in our lives, but at the other hand that peoplewith a disease are not "ab-normal" . Admiring the way you treat A.
    Love, Riet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the extra suitcase :)

    And an ice cream biscuit....now that sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words have told me things I did not know about diabetes and you have my complete respect at such a sensible while caring attitude. I second your wish for a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ROCK...I too am a big fan of the "extra-suitcase" comment AND the reminder that it does indeed affect the whole famdamily!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. and he is such a cool kid, he just gets on with life- I think that is due to his fab parents being so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely words as always and I liked the extra suitcase comment too. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes please. A cure would be quite nice!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, cure a.s.a.p.! Greetings...Peebee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing along with you for a cure x
    You have won my little competition Please let me know the address to mail it to :-)
    Your answer of 61 grams was closest to the actual weight of 75.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there

    My goodness, I agree a cure for diabetes would be a good thing, it is also in our family.
    I wanted to pop over and say thank you for visiting my little blog today, Im so happy to find yours, you are extremely talented and after writing this Im going to look at your website!

    Im your newest follower, will visit again soon -
    Love Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete